Pursuing God’s Will Together
A group has been meeting weekly for the past couple of months, going chapter-by-chapter through “Pursuing God’s Will Together” by Ruth Haley Barton, a foundational text for the spiritual discerning we have done as church the past 7+ years. Jennifer Delanty was commissioned by the group to share with our congregation some of what they’ve been learning, wondering, and practicing together. Listen as she explores Jesus’ experience of transfiguration, alongside our own experience of transformation, as we pursue holy indifference to anything but God’s invitation to us. [Sermon begins at minute 20:15.]
Narrative Lectionary – Year 3
- Call to Worship by Marlene Kropf, from Voices Together, 853.
- Land Acknowledgement: Mennonite Worship and Song Committee, 2019, from Voices Together, 878; Real Rent Duwamish: www.realrentduwamish.org/
- Blessing our Offerings: https://seattlemennonite.org/donate
- Photo: Pursuing God’s Will Together, by Ruth Haley Barton
Permission to podcast the music in this service obtained from One License with license # A-726929. All rights reserved.
- Praise, I will Praise you Lord – © 1989 Brethren Press; Text: French; based on Psalm 9:1–2; Claude Frayssé; English trans. Kenneth I. Morse, 1988; © 1989 Hymnal: A Worship Book
- Darkness is not dark to you, God – Tune: Leonard Enns, © 2019; Text: Sarah Kathleen Johnson, © 2006 [sung to tune PICARDY, French traditional]
- O Lord, Hear my Prayer – Tune: Jacques Berthier (France); Text: based on Psalm 102.1-2; © 1982, Les Presses de Taizé, admin. GIA Publications, Inc.
- My Life Flows On – VT 605 – Text & Tune: Robert Lowry’s Bright Jewels for the Sunday School, 1869, refrain alt.; arr. © 1989 Hymnal: A Worship Book, alt.
- In the Morning When I Rise – Text & Tune: African American spiritual, Public Domain; arr. Wendell Whalum © 1978
- Grant Us, God, the Grace – Text: Robert Murray; Music: attr. Christian Friederich Witt, adapt. Henry J. Gauntlett