How brave it is to follow
Today’s Scripture reflections feature Jesus, a heap of fish, and pondering the BRAVERY of following. That leads directly into Brenda Salter McNeil’s powerful storytelling of clergy in Ferguson in 2014 being asked by the young generation of leaders who’d witnessed a lack of integrity in the church: “Are you coming or not?” It is brave to show up, brave to receive critique, brave to change plans, brave to cede power, brave to remain rooted, brave to be humble, brave to follow. [Sermon begins at minute 12:50.]
Megan M Ramer
Narrative Lectionary – Year 3
- Land Acknowledgment: We are invited to join our Duwamish friends in asking state legislators to NOT vote for Bill SB 5161 until it is amended to remove “federally recognized” tribes. Duwamish history and their current presence must be included in student learning. Find your district and your reps and / or read the original bill.
- Call to worship: Joanna Harader at SpaciousFaith.com
- Bibleworm podcast: Episode 221 – Leaving It All Behind, Amy Robertson and Robert Williamson, Jr.
- Brenda Salter McNeil, “Becoming Brave: A Tribute to Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.” Link to video: https://vimeo.com/496349681 (her 8-minute message starts at minute 19:50).
- Blessing our offerings: http://seattlemennonite.org/donate
- Photo by Oziel Gómez from Pexels
Permission to podcast the music in this service obtained from One License with license #A-726929. All rights reserved.
- Sizohamba Naye (We will walk with God) – Text and Music Swaziland traditional, ©2002 WGRG Iona Community, GIA Publications.
- Afternoon Prayer – by Michael Bade. ©2021, shared with permission
- Jesus walked this lonesome valley – Traditional Spiritual