“Disciples of Jesus should be desperate citizens. The desperate citizen will press their citizenship as far as possible for the sake of thwarting death and its agents.” Pastor Amy explores the work of theologian Willie James Jennings and discusses the way our citizenship in nation should be engaged in relationship to our citizenship in the Reign of God. Now is not the time to opt out, when so many have had to fight desperately to be included. [Sermon begins at 22:23]
Amy Marie Epp
- Preaching to the Chickens: the story of young John Lewis, by Jabari Asim. Illustrated by E. B. Lewis.
- Read the full sermon manuscript
- Read more about the Acts Commentary by Willie James Jennings
- Pass the Peace in America Sign Language
- Land Acknowledgement: Real Rent Duwamish
- Offering: donations to Seattle Mennonite Church
- PHOTO: lettering by Amy Marie Epp, 2020
Permission to podcast the music in this service obtained from One License with license #A-726929. All rights reserved.
- Jesus Loves Me – Text: Anna B. Warner, 1859; Music: William B. Bradbury, 1862
- What does the Lord Require – Words and Music by Jim Strathdee © 1986 Desert Flower Music/Jim and Jean Strathdee.
Additional Music credit:
- Seek ye first the kingdom of God – Words and Music by Karen Lafferty © 1972 Maranatha Music.