Burn and Breathe – Zoom Church
In the days of protest, riot and rage over police violence against black people and the deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and Tony McDade and many others, we gather for Pentecost. We call on the Holy Spirit to come with power. We call on the Holy Spirit to burn and breathe in us as we kindle a fire under white supremacy in ourselves and in our systems. We remember that the Spirit breathes within us and within the bodies of black folks even to their last breath. Black Lives Matter.
Amy Marie Epp
Permission to podcast the music in this service obtained from One License with license #A-726929. All rights reserved.
- Halle, Halle, Hallelujah – Words and Music: Caribbean folk song, arr. Hal H Hopson, © 1998 Hope Publishing Company
- This little light of mine – Words & Music African-American Spiritual, public domain.
- Something Happened in Our Town, by Marianne Celano, Marietta Collins and Ann Hazzard.
- Holy Spirit, come with power – Words by Anne N. Rupp © 1970, Music The Sacred Harp 1844, harmonization Joan A. Fyock © 1989 – as found in Hymnal: A Worship Book, 26
- There are many gifts but the same Spirit – Words & Music by Patricia Shelly © 1977 – as found in Hymnal: A Worship Book, 304
A Modified Holy Spirit Come with Power
Holy Spirit, come with power, breathe into our aching night
We expect you this dark hour, waiting for your strength and light.
We are fearful, we are ailing, we are weak and selfish too.
Break upon your congregation, give us vigor, life anew.
Holy Spirit, come with fire, burn us with your presence new.
Let us as one mighty choir sing our hymn of rage for you.
Burn away our wasted sadness and enflame us with your love.
Burst upon your congregation, give us fury from above.
Holy Spirit, bring your message, burn and breathe each word anew
deep into our tired living till we strive your work to do.
Teach us love and teach us justice, lend our hand to those who hurt.
Breathe upon your congregation and ignite us with your word.