Jailer, Jailed, Judge, Jury: None are free until all are free
In our annual Interdependence Day worship – on the Sunday nearest the 4th – we again expose the lie of supposed independence, and instead claim the joy of justly-ordered mutual dependence and collective liberation! Willie James Jennings‘s fiery, faithful commentary is our conversation partner as we engage the imprisoned Jesus-followers in the Book of Acts. We know that God’s deepest desire is for the shaking of every prison foundation, the liberation of each imagination, and the release of every captive – on both sides of the prison bars. Thanks be to God! [sermon begins at 29:50]
Megan M Ramer
Narrative Lectionary – summer – Revolutionary Acts
- Willie James Jennings, Commentary on Acts, Westminster John Knox Press (2017), 163-169.
- adrienne maree brown, “all organizing is science fiction“
- Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom: The Autobiography of Nelson Mandela (1994), 485.
- Pass the Peace in America Sign Language
- Land Acknowledgement: Real Rent Duwamish and the Duwamish Longhouse Online Store
- Offering: donations to Seattle Mennonite Church
- Benediction: written by Isaac Villegas, for the forthcoming Voices Together hymnal and worship book
- PHOTO: by Jean-Guy Nakars on Unsplash
Permission to podcast the music in this service obtained from One License with license #A-726929. All rights reserved.
Slowing Turning – Words by Delorses Dufner © 2003, GIA Publications, Inc., Music Gaelic traditional, harmonization by Richard Proulx © 1975, GIA Publications, Inc.
You’ve got a place – words and music traditional spiritual
Som’lan dela (We will follow) – Words and music Zimbabwean traditional