This week in worship we continue to explore the rich and fertile darkness of Advent, hearing with Mary the invitation to partner with God in offering a home for God-with-us in her own body. And we experience a pageant like we’ve never done it before! Our families rose to the challenge of enacting and dramatizing the Christmas story from their own homes, speaking and acting and creating something our whole congregation could enjoy.
Pageant begins at minute 20:20.
- With Mary Sing Magnificat – Text: Jeanette M. Lindholm ©2000; Music – trad. English melody, arr. Ralph Vaughan Williams, © Oxford University Press
- Prayer: Cole Arthur Riley, Black Liturgies
- Image: a still from our pageant (by the Reimergartins)
Permission to podcast the music in this service obtained from One License with license #A-726929. All rights reserved.
- Come, thou long-expected Jesus – Text: Charles Wesley; Music: Rowland H. Prichard, © Oxford University Press
- Come, Come Emmanuel – Text & Music: Rev. James Chepponis , © 1995, GIA Publications, Inc.
- We Three Kings – Text: based on Matthew 2.1-11; Text & music: Carols, Hymns, and Songs, 1863, John H. Hopkins, Jr.
- Joy to the world – Text: Isaac Watts; Music: “From Handel,” Lowell Mason
- Angels we have heard on high – Text: unknown; Music: traditional French carol
- The angel Gabriel – Text: Sabine Baring-Gould; Music: trad. Basque carol, arr. Edgar Pettman; Text & Music: ©1961 H. Freeman & Co.
- O come, all ye faithful – Text: John F. Wade; tr. Frederick Oakeley and others; Music: attributed to John F. Wade
- O little town of Bethlehem – Text: Phillips Brooks, 1868; Music: Lewis H. Redner, 1868
Other Resources, from Creative Commons: Attribution Non-Commercial 4.0 International (CC BY-4.0)
- Call to Worship – Advent Welcome, Anna Beth Roeschley, from “Along the Arc,” ©2017 Brethren Mennonite Council
- Offertory Prayer, Joanna Harader, 2017, spaciousfaith.com