Seattle Mennonite Church
Job Title: Administrator
Reports to: Lead Pastor
The position manages the financial, administrative, and human resources of Seattle Mennonite Church, working in close collaboration with Stewardship Council, the pastoral team, other employees and relevant members of the leadership team in order to carry out the wide-ranging responsibilities of the position. The following is a representative but not comprehensive list of the responsibilities of this position. Other responsibilities may be identified later. This position supervises Facility Manager and Office Coordinator roles.
Target FTE: 60%; Salaried Exempt Position
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
I. Financial Management
- Accounts payable – Manage the accounts payable process. Ensure bills are properly recorded, approved and paid on a timely basis. Prepare 1099-misc tax reports as needed.
- Payroll – Produce accurate and timely payroll checks; manage all related benefits and tax filings and payments.
- Contributions and rental income – Enter weekly deposit detail in Quickbooks (or current program); produce individual donation records least annually, in conjunction with Lead Pastor; track designated contributions and forward payments on timely basis.
- Budget and treasurer reports – Produce budget and financial reports for church leadership and congregation, in coordination with Treasurer; monitor revenues and expenditures compared to budget on at least a quarterly basis.
- Additional internal controls – Manage bank and investment accounts to assure adequate cash flow and reconcile all accounts monthly, in conjunction with Treasurer; periodically scan online bank account activity for large or unusual payments / reductions; monitor accounting system entries regularly for mis-postings or errors and correct as needed.
- Other – Work with the pastors and other staff on their administrative needs including report preparation, invoice preparation, etc. Attend monthly Stewardship Council meetings and provide information needed to the Council in carrying out its responsibilities. Document and invoice Lake City Partners Ending Homelessness and other applicable contractors and funders for services provided through related Community Ministry programs and coordinate with those providers as needed.
II. Office Administration
- Work closely with and supervise Office Coordinator position; meet as necessary, troubleshoot problems / issues, provide support, conduct performance reviews.
- Oversee major purchases or leases – computers, printers, copier. In coordination with volunteer church members (as available), manage church computers: assure that virus protection is up-to-date; act as liaison with phone and internet service provider (Comcast currently); troubleshoot computer and printer problems as they occur.
- Manage property and corporate governance documents, including annual nonprofit filing.
- Oversee insurance policy with Brotherhood Mutual, request certificates for additional insured parties as needed; address Risk Management requests and issues raised by insurance company or others.
- Serve as advocate for our denominational stewardship agency, Everence, and participate in advocate workshops and trainings when possible; apply for matching grants.
III. Human Resources
- Provide HR administration for all staff, including church staff, pastors, and hosts at our daytime drop-in center for people experiencing homelessness, God’s Li’l Acre.
- Review personnel policies and procedures as needed, with Stewardship Council.
- Orient new staff re: personnel policies, procedures, benefits, expense reimbursement procedures, email address, business cards, voicemail, staff credit card, etc.
- Oversee medical group insurance policy with Corinthian Plan.
- Run criminal background checks on staff and volunteers as required by policy.
IV. SMC Campus & Property Management and Tenant Relations
- Work closely with and supervise Facilities Manager position; meet as necessary, troubleshoot problems / issues, provide support, conduct performance reviews.
- Coordinate with Facilities Manager on rental agreements for groups using church spaces, including issuing invoices and following up with rental group, as needed.
- Work with Stewardship Council to advertise space or otherwise find appropriate tenants for all rentable space; negotiate and put together leases; work with tenants on any landlord issues; track lease expiration dates and insurance expiration dates to assure all documents are up-to-date.
- Prepare monthly invoices to tenants; monitor receipts to make sure tenants are current with payments and resolve late payments.
- Work with Community Ministry to manage interactions between the community and SMC’s tenants and renters.
- Monitor and renew property tax exemptions for church-owned properties.
- Participate as needed in planning processes for long term use of campus property.
- Minimum of two years of relevant experience in accounting / bookkeeping, administration, human resources, or related field.
- Strong computer skills, with competency in Word, Excel, email and internet use, and ability to troubleshoot and / or adequately describe computer problems to support persons.
- Working knowledge of QuickBooks or similar financial management program, with ability to quickly learn church’s financial record-keeping system.
- Flexibility and willingness to take on a variety of tasks; ability to handle multiple responsibilities and manage time effectively.
- Strong commitment to teamwork approach, and ability to work cooperatively with others or independently, as the situation requires.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Basic understanding of employment and landlord-tenant laws and human resources responsibilities.
- Commitment to supporting and upholding the ministries and values of Seattle Mennonite Church.
Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Sick Leave; Healthcare stipend provided
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a letter of interest, resume, and the names and contact information for three references to Lead Pastor Megan Ramer, firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline February 19, 2018. SMC runs background checks for all employees. We hope to fill this position by April 1, 2018. Start date is flexible. No phone inquiries please.
Part Time: 60% FTE, ~24 hours per week
$25-$32.50 per hour, depending on experience [annual: $31,200 – $40,560]