Seattle Mennonite Church is an Anabaptist Christian community. As disciples of Jesus, we believe faith and action are inseparable elements in each person’s pilgrimage. In our journey together as a community of believers, we have named several areas of giftedness and calling (i.e., charisms). These charisms are gifts that God has given us for the ministries that God has set before us:
- Welcome and Hospitality: We desire that all who enter here may be received as Christ. We celebrate and affirm the image of God in persons of every age, gender, race, ability, ethnicity, and sexual orientation, and strive to find common ground on which to build relationship with our neighbors near and far. We publicly affirm that LGBT** persons are welcome to participate in the full life and ministry of our church, including membership, baptism, marriage, leadership, and pastoral ministry.
- Discernment: We emphasize prayerful discernment in all areas of corporate and personal life. When we discern as a body, we practice open dialogue and consensus decision-making. We encourage each person to seek accompaniment and accountability within the congregation for issues relating to faith and life, and we delight in the prayerful discovery of spiritual gifts that contribute to the life and ministry of the church.
- Worship and Spirituality: We respond to God’s grace and love through worship together. We strive to provide opportunities for personal spiritual growth through participation in our worship as a community. Scripture, preaching, prayer, music, and art connect us with our God and shape us for our ministry to God’s world.
- Peace and Justice: We embrace a tradition of active peacemaking and advocacy for people who are marginalized. We practice nonviolence in our church, community, work, and world, and seek to transform injustice in all its forms. We take seriously Jesus’ call to love our enemies and our neighbors as ourselves.
- **Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender