A Name That is True
Amy explores the way El Shaddai, “The Breasted One,” blesses and calls the old bodies Abraham and Sarah with new names and a new identity and the way we are called to honor the true names and identities of people who identify as trans or gender non-conforming. Names and identity and blessing often go hand in hand. Being truly welcoming in way that is safe for everyone means challenging ourselves to accept and bless the whole person and identity of each one as they have claimed it for themselves and as God has called them to be.
Pastor of Albuquerque Mennonite Church
- View Full Text
- “Transgender Pastor is Welcomed into the Church with a New Name” –(the Huffington Post Article referenced in the sermon.)
- Trans 101, a resource from Brethren Mennonite Council for LGBTQ+ Interests. Cover art by Lisa Bade!)
- How to Be a Girl, a podcast based in Seattle by a parent of a trans girl
- Nancy Podcast, especially episodes 11 and 13
- The Queer Bible Commentary
- And finally, that classic, El Shaddai, by my name-buddy and Christian pop-diva Amy Grant. I’m sure she’d approve of this use.