Advent, again, begins with a bang. An apocalyptic bang. We are welcomed into this season with the startling yet strangely familiar words of Jesus from Mark’s “little apocalypse.” Pastor Megan invites us to consider how we simultaneously inhabit two entirely different seasons in this month: Advent with our faith community, and the “holiday season” with the rest of the world outside the walls of our church, and invites us to consider where we might find hope in the midst of the chaos of our world and our lives.
- Mark 13:24-37
- Isaiah 64:1-9
- Jan Richardson, “Advent 1: Practicing the Apocalypse,” http://adventdoor.com/2009/11/23/advent-1-practicing-the-apocalypse/
- Jan Richardson, “This Luminous Darkness: Searching for Solace in Advent & Christmas,” (2015), 2.
- Jan Richardson, “Blessing When the World is Ending,” Circle of Grace: A Book of Blessings for the Seasons (2015), 34.
- Dennis Sanders, “Living by The Word,” Christian Century, November 8, 2017, 20.
- Jan Richardson, “Walking the Way of Hope: A Retreat for Women’s Christmas,” (2017), 7.